Tuesday 2 April 2013

B is for The Black Crowes

Now for something completely different to the musings yesterday about the dystopian near future. B is indeed for the Black Crowes. They are, without question, my favourite band of all time. I'm going to take a little of your time to tell you about exactly why you need them in your life. And need them you do.


The Black Crowes were originally formed in 1984 and wen't by the name Mr Crowe's Garden. According to interviews with lead singer Rich Robinson they really were just trying to keep it weird. Soon they renamed the band and submitted a demo to Def American and their first studio album "Shake your Money Maker" was released. The first single to hit the charts in the UK and US was a rocked up cover of an Otis Redding B-side called Hard to Handle.

I remember back in the day, I listened to lots of "hair metal" bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and all that. I had a mullet (no, I'm not proud), ripped jeans and designs on a tattoo with skulls, scantily clad ladies, guns and bottles of whiskey on it. A mate called over one day and said in no uncertain terms: "Turn that crap off Wayne. Listen to this." I listened and was instantly converted. The soulful, rocky southern drawl of Chris Robinson immediately caught my ear and the laid back groove of the rest of the band changed the way I thought about music forever and I became a lifelong fan. Think '70's Southern Rock, meets the Stones, meets the Faces, meets the whole of Motown and all the best gospel singers. If you have half an idea of what that might sound like, you are halfway there.

I had the pleasure of going to see them on Friday last week at The HMV Forum in Kentish Town in London. Suffice to say they were magisterial and it was one of the things I could cross off my bucket list. I have been a fan for twenty years, but the first time that I have been able to get tickets to see them was this year. All killer and no filler.

Chris Robinson with his brother Rich on guitar and Jackie Greene playing mandolin. Playing She Talks To Angels at The HMV Forum, London. March 29th 2013. I was there and it was brilliant.
I could go on about The Crowes history and influences for ages, but there are plenty of websites and pages that do that, so I'll just leave you with these couple of tunes to give you a flavour of what they are like if you haven't listened to them before.

First is Remedy.



Now, Soul Singin'



Lastly, Sometimes Salvation.


I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do almost every day.

I forgot to do this yesterday, but Rocco's Random Number and therefore random A-Z blogger is 52. I had a squint on the linky list (cheers, Ink in the Book) and found Thrift Shop Commando. I had a little look at Tami Von Zalez's site and it looks really interesting, have a squint if you are so disposed. I did. Also, hasn't she got the coolest name ever?

See you tomorrow with C.

Rock on,

Wayne.

P.S. I didn't get the tattoo, I got another one sans, scantily clad ladies, skulls, whiskey and guns. But that is another story and will be told another time. 

6 comments:

  1. I admit to only knowing the two obvious songs, but I do really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Andrea! You need to listen more to these guys. They ae made entirely of win. Thanks for stopping by...

    W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a huge fan of the Black Crows. You, sir, have great taste in music!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god C wasn't the Counting Crows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a fan since they came out w/ "Shake Your Money Maker"...I've seen them live in a variety of venues(indoor & out). I have to say my favorite band of all time & they are especially awesome live!
    My best friend & I met when I dated a friend of his. We bonded over the crowes, been friends for damn near 15 years now.

    ReplyDelete

Wotcher. Comments are welcome and make Wayne happy. Please post some. Spammers on the other hand, I hunt down, kill and eat.

Five Sentence Fiction - Bubbles

Here we are again with Five Sentence Fiction from Lillie McFerrin. The word du jour is Bubbles...